- Must have a valid unexpired Tribal ID card in his/her possession.
- Must have a valid Natural Resource Harvest Permit in his/her possession.
- It is prohibited to use bait or other food transported and placed for the purpose of attracting or enticing Turkeys. Liquid scents, salt and minerals are not considered bait.
- Use or possession of lead shot while hunting in designated areas of Federal Wildlife Refuges, Waterfowl Production Areas (WPA’s), Lower Rice Lake Management Area, Wildlife Management Areas (WMA’s) and Scientific and Natural Areas (SNA’s) is strictly prohibited.
- Wild turkeys may not be taken with the aid of dogs.
- Live turkey decoys are prohibited.
- The use of electronic devices is prohibited.
Seasons and Limits
- Spring Season dates: April 1- May 31, 2016
- Fall Season dates: September 12 - October 31, 2015
- Shotguns must be 20 gauge or larger and muzzle loading shotguns must be 12 gauge or larger.
- Scopes are legal.
- Fine Shot used in shotguns and muzzleloaders must be BB shot or smaller.
Bows and Arrows
- No less than 30 pounds at or before full draw.
- Broadheads must have a 2 metal cutting edges, barbless and at lease 7/8 inch in diameter or must have a blunt head design.
- Retractable broadheads may be used as long as they are 7/8 inch at or after impact and are barbless.
- Poisoned or explosive tips are prohibited.
- Crossbows can be used that meet the above requirements.
- Legal shooting hours are one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset.
- 1 male (Tom) turkey per year.
- All persons taking a wild turkey must register the bird within 24 hours of the taking.
- Feathers, head and feet must remain on the bird until registered.
Please contact for Registering:
P.O. Box 393, 216 North Main Street
Mahnomen, MN 56557
Phone: (218) 935-2488, Ext. 2102
Fax: (218) 935-2524